Emergency Cash Tip #8: Freelance Graphic Design Work
By Ralf Skirr.
Similar to freelance writing, freelance graphic design work is an excellent way to make emergency cash online and quickly.
- If you’ve already done graphic design work of some sort, this is a definite plus.
- If you haven’t, don’t worry. It’s still possible to make emergency cash online doing graphic design work.
- But if graphic design gives you the creeps, better move on to the next article.
For now, I will assume that you don’t have any prior experience.In that case, it is essential that you begin by accumulating items to put in your portfolio, which you will show to prospective clients.
At a minimum, you will want to create the following objects for your graphic design portfolio…
- an e-book cover;
- a banner;
- a small business logo; and
- a payment button.
If you’re not skilled with Photoshop (or GIMP, the free analog to Photoshop), this type of work probably won’t be easy initially. You’ll probably do very poorly on your first few banners, but with a little work, you can get better.
If you plan to sell banners, one good way to start is by going to the following site: http://mybannermaker.com. This site will allow you to create a banner by uploading a background image, inserting text, and tweaking a few options. It’s easy to do; and it is also free.
- One good way to approach this process is to edit each component individually in GIMP or Photoshop before you insert it into the banner using mybannermaker.com.
- Once the editing is finished, the only step that remains is to combine everything using the site.
Remember, since all of your work is likely to be used for commercial purposes, it is critical to use “stock photos” and photos that are in the public domain. Otherwise, you could be violating someone’s copyright.
Once you have created a small portfolio of items that are sufficiently attractive and well-polished it’s time to begin marketing your work through various channels.
3 Ways To Find Freelance Graphic Design Work
Channel #1: Elance
As I mentioned earlier, Elance is a good place to pick up freelance writing and editing projects. It is also a good place to find work if you are a freelance graphic designer. All you have to do is post your portfolio in your profile, bid reasonably on projects, and then wait for people to accept. As you gain credibility, your acceptance rate will rise.
Channel #2: Sitepoint.com and Warriorforum.com
Site users at both of these places require a great deal of graphic design work; and if you want to make emergency cash as a graphic designer, you should take advantage of this.
Start by making an offer people cannot resist.
For instance, offer to make site logos for $3 (or free) for one week. If you actually produce high-quality logos, the forums will be buzzing about your work by the end of the week; and future work will come flowing in without your needing to do anything else.
Channel #3: Craigslist.org
As I mentioned earlier, Craigslist is a great place to find freelance writing projects. This is also true for graphic design projects. Just keep in mind that you can search for jobs in any Craigslist city site, since many of them do not require you to work on-location.
Freelance graphic design work is an excellent way to raise cash quickly; however, it is important to keep in mind that submitting low quality work may very well ensure that you never get a project.
- So, before you get started, work out all the kinks until you can create an acceptable portfolio.
- After that, go forward with your work and also ensure that you match or exceed your clients’ expectations.